Client Area · 0114 299 4050
View Services

Change mailbox size in Exchange 2007, 2010 and 2013

Change mailbox size in Exchange 2007, 2010 and 2013
Jude talks us through how to change Mailbox size in Exchange 2007, 2010 and 2013

One of the questions I regularly get asked is how to change the size per mailbox in Microsoft Exchange. I've put together a handy how-to guide below, taking into account the different versions of Exchange. So, without further ado, let's go!

Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010

Both Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 allow you to configure mailbox quotas, either on a global level (across all users), or on each individual mailbox. To set this up globally in Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010, open up the Exchange Management Console on your Exchange Server. Expand Organization Configuration, then click on "Mailbox". Right click on your Database, and click on Properties, then the Limits tab.

Click on the Limits tab

Set the mailbox limits as per your organisational requirements, taking your server storage into consideration. You might also want to configure Exchange to send warnings to users when they hit a specified threshold.

You can also manage storage on a per-mailbox basis. Within the Exchange Management Console, open up Recipient Configuration, then expand Mailboxes. Right click on a mailbox, and select Properties, choosing the Mailbox Settings tab

Mailbox Settings

Double click on Storage Quotas. You have the same control as before, but this will only effect the selected user's mailbox.

Exchange 2013

To change the organisational quota defaults in Exchange 2013, open up the Exchange Administration Console from your Exchange Server. Open Databases, then click Limits. Although the layout in Exchange 2013 is somewhat different, the controls you have here are almost identical.

The Limits tab

To set control on an individual mailbox, open Recipients, and double-click on your chosen mailbox. Click on Mailbox Usage, then customize your settings accordingly. You'll notice some nice new features here, including a live usage statistic for each mailbox.

Mailbox Usage

Remember to save your settings once you're done.

And that's it, your mailbox limits have been changed!

If you need any help, or would like to find out more about implementing Microsoft Exchange for your business, tweet us @resolveits or give us a call on 0114 299 4050.

< Back to Blog

Popular Posts:

Comments

1. Frank Hughes
    23.03.2016

Excellent article, clearly written by a truly skilled professional.

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.
  2. Managed Network Services Dallas
    30.05.2016

This is the first time that I came here. I also entertaining stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Tons of comments on your articles, I guess I'm not the only one having all the enjoyment! Keep up the good work.

Managed Network Services Dallas

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.
  3. IT support Dallas
    06.06.2016

Outsource Your IT Needs. Free yourself to focus on what you do best while the pros manage your technology. Learn more about Managed Services from LG Networks.

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.
  4. IT support Dallas
    17.06.2016

Thanks for another great article. Where anyone written such a perfect way of that kind of information might be? I have a presentation next week, and I'm on the search for such information.

IT support Dallas

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.
  5. Managed Network Services Dallas
    26.06.2016

One of these technologies for myself that I'd be able to use. It is definitely a cut above the rest of my provider and I can not wait to have it. I need your insight. Thanks

Managed Network Services Dallas

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.
  6. Managed Network Services Dallas
    27.06.2016

This is very serious, you're collaborating on passing the author. In addition, along with your feed and I actually signed up to your personal unbelievable write ups can enjoy. By the way, we've shared our social network in the Journal of the net.

Managed Network Services Dallas

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.
  7. Richard Ringled
    06.06.2017

Gentlemen - This article is misleading I am looking to increase the mailbox size of a user in Exchange 2010 from 5Gb to 10Gb and am having a problem finding the correct syntax for the Management console. This article is not helpful for this can you assist?? Thanks,

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.

Please leave a comment