If you have started to use Windows 8 then you will have seen that files such as pictures, music and PDF's open with the new Windows 8 native 'Apps'.
If you want to change this so that they open with your favourite picture viewer or media player by default then just follow the quick steps outlined below.
Changing the applications Windows 8 uses by default can be done from the System Defaults page. Opening this can be done in one of two of ways:
- Go to the Start menu and search for Default Programs.
- Open the Control Panel and navigate to All Control Panel Items > Default Programs
From the defaults page tap or click a current default application. If there is no default, tap or click Choose a default.
And that's it!
You can also fine-tune default applications based on the file type or protocol. For example, you can make all .jpg" image files open using one application, and .bmp image files open using a different application.
On the defaults page, tap or click Choose default applications by file type or Choose default applications by protocol.
You then tap or click a current default application, or, if there is no default, tap or click Choose a default, then tap or click a new default application.
Things to Note
- When you change a default application for a file type or protocol, you can't leave it blank. You must select a new application.
- The default you choose will only apply to your account and won't affect other accounts on your PC.
- The default email application must be one installed on your PC. You can't use a web-based email service, such as Outlook.com, Gmail or Yahoo! mail as the default email program.
If you want to upgrade your organisation to Windows 8, give us a call on 0114 299 4050.